Marrakech was a quick weekend getaway from England for us. We went in December which is their wintertime. It is very cold in the early mornings and late evenings but during the day the sun did shine and we were able to feel the warmth of the Moroccan sun !
We flew into the Marrakech airport which is 35 minute bus ride to the main square; you can buy a return bus ticket for £1 and it is bus number 19. The bus stop is just outside the airport and drops you off near the Mosque.
We stayed in Majorelle hostel located right behind the main square – Jamaa El Fna Square for 6 quid/night. It is definitely what you pay for but was located exactly where we wanted to be ! And with full days we mainly just crashed there to catch some zzz’s. See link: https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Majorelle-Hostel/Marrakech/
Things to do:
– Wander the souks and drive some hard bargains 😉 – love the rugs!
– Do a day tour to the high atlas mountains, berber villages, & try argan oil
– Do a day trip to Ait ben Hoddou (gateway to the Sahara dessert)
– Visit Ben Youssef Madrasa
– Eat at the market in the main square (tangines, couscous, fresh juices)
– Visit La Majorelle Jardins (a blue cobalt French inspired home and garden by Jacques Majorelle and later Yves Saint Laurent)
– Eat & drink mint tea at the Nomad, Café des Espices, & Le Jardin (all have rooftops with a view and make sure to make a reso!)
– Ride camels ❤
– Sign yourself up for a traditional Hammam (you’ll be in for a real treat ;))
What I wish I knew/did:
As I only had a weekend we did it jam-packed however with more time I would’ve loved to do the following:
– Do a day trip to Ourika Valley
– Do a day trip to Inmil Valley
– Visit the Northern part of Morocco and stay at Essaouira beach to escape the madness of Marrakech
– There are a few different options of overnight tours in the Sahara dessert (Merzourga & the Zagoda part) from Marrakech. I recommend emailing firstname.lastname@example.org – our tour guide Siad was absolutely amazing and our tour couldn’t have been smoother
– Visit other cities near Marrakech such as Fez & Casablanca
If you are a female be prepared for the madness that is Marrakech. Dress conservative. Unfortunately we did encounter several forms of harassment throughout just walking the streets. My advice is to just walk away but it is very exhausting and you will notice it right away. Nonetheless I absolutely would go back to Marrakech in a heartbeat.